iImprov – Modal provides the tools for confidently playing over modal tunes. The main focus of the app is playing over minor modal tunes, however the app also covers playing over 7sus4 modal tunes and Lydian/Major7#4 tunes. Exercises and JAM-A-longs specific to each of these types of tunes are included.
The features of the app include:
- Full explanation of the concepts involved.
- Detailed theory of note to chord relations and use of modal scales.
- Detailed theory of how to use pentatonic scales, including how to play “outside.”
- Audio and visual representation of the related scales.
- Audio playback of the scales played over the appropriate chords.
- Exercises that include audio examples.
- Swing style minor modal
- Funk style minor modal
- Lydian / Major7#4
As with all of the apps in the iImprov series, Modal has the following general features:
- Individual JAM-A-longs for each key for variety.
- Mixer control for the JAM-A-long instruments.
- Tempo control for each JAM-A-long.
- Music notation available in either treble or bass clef.
Below is a video demonstrating iImprov – Modal on the iPad:
Videos demonstrating Minor Modal Exercise 1:
Another video demonstrating sideslipping with a pentatonic scale: