iImprov – The Minor II V focuses on the Minor II V chord progression. The Minor II V is one of the more common progressions found in the jazz repertoire, yet it is often ‘fluffed over’ by musicians. The goal of the app is to take the mystery out playing over these progressions. The JAM-A-longs included focus on the individual chords as well as in a progression. The app defines the scale to chord relationships for each key and allows the user to listen to the isolated scale as well as hear it over the appropriate chord. It also offers a method to best practice these scales and progressions.
Features of the app include:
- Full explanation of the concepts.
- Detailed theory of note to chord relations.
- Audio and visual representation of the scales.
- Audio playback of the scales played over the appropriate chords.
- JAM-A-long for each isolated chord in all keys.
- JAM-A-long for each progression in all keys.
- Individual JAM-A-longs for each key for variety.
- Mixer control for the JAM-A-long instruments.
- Tempo control for each JAM-A-long.
- Music notation available in either treble or bass clef.
Below is a video demonstrating iImprov – The Minor II V on the iPad:
Another video showing the application of the Lydian Augmented scale to Minor II V progressions: